"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder; and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." (Isaiah 9:6)
Our A. M. NOTES are all about Christmas!
"JESUS IS OUR ONLY HOPE"
About 740 years B. C., the nation of Israel was a divided country, and had fallen away from God. The people worshipped idols which could neither hear nor see, and had to be carried about like cord wood. The nation was a mere shadow of what it had once been, and had fallen well beneath its potential. Israel's king was a man named Amaziah, and he worshipped gold calves instead of God. So it was just one big, gigantic mess, just like today!
Then Isaiah saw into the future. Actually he was looking ahead by 738 years! He saw Christmas!
"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given:..." (v. 6) Isaiah saw HOPE in a person, in an infant! This child was a gift to "us". In Him would come deliverance and salvation!
This Child had names:
1) "Wonderful". When you think of something wonderful, what comes to your mind? I think of something GOOD! Something beautiful, and appealing! I think of someone that I want to spend time with, and someone that blesses those that are around them! I think "Wonderful" is a perfect name for the Child born on Christmas Day!
2) "Counselor". Jesus is omniscient! All-knowing! He makes the absolute perfect counselor, because He not only knows everything, He knows what is going to happen tomorrow, and beyond tomorrow. So what wisdom He can impart unto us. I think "Counselor" is an absolutely appropriate name for the Child born on Christmas Day!
3) "The mighty God". Remember what Jesus did during His time upon the earth. Jesus spit on the ground, and made clay from His spit. Then He made some eyes for a blind man from that mud! He walked on the water while the sea raged and pitched! He raised Jairus' daughter from the dead! He, Himself, is risen from the grave! I think "The mighty God" is who the child born on Christmas Day, is!
4) "The everlasting Father". The believer is Born-Again! Born of the Spirit! Born of God! He is our Heavenly Father, and we have been begatten of Him. And, oh what a daddy He is! He is Abba! And He lives forever-and-a-day! I think "The everlasting Father" is exactly who the Child born on Christmas Day, is!
5) "The Prince of Peace". The angels announced to the shepherds that Christ had come. They heralded the news, saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth, peace, good will toward men." (Luke 2:14) Jesus, from His birth, was on a mission to bring 'peace on earth'! And He has brought peace to the souls of believers. We are at peace with God. We are at peace with our fellow man. And we are at peace within ourselves! I think "The Prince of Peace" is who the Child that was born on Christmas Day, is!
We are gripped by fearful and uncertain days, right now. The Corona Virus is worse now than before. The hospitals are filled beyond capacity. Many friends and loved ones are in dire straits because of it. The economy has tanked! Businesses are closing. Goods and services are at premium prices. We can't visit, or gather as families. We can't even have a proper funeral for our dearly departed. We aren't sure of what to do. And our nation is in a mess. It seems as though people have forgotten God, and fallen away! And our leaders do nothing but argue and fuss at each other.
It is almost identical to the state of things in Israel about 740 years B. C.! Isaiah saw their hope. He was a child, an infant, born on Christmas Day!
He looked forward in time for Hope. We must look back in time for our hope. OUR HOPE IS IN JESUS! OUR HOPE came on Christmas Day!
From my heart to your heart.