"And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off:
And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.
And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.
And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God.
And he fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan." (Luke 17:12-16)
A person that had contracted leprosy in Jesus' day, was for all practical purposes, a dead person!
1) They became an outcast of society.
2) They were crippled by leprosy, and disfigured, becoming grotesque in their appearance.
3) They had to leave hearth and home, and either wander about, or go to a colony to live with other lepers.
4) They were in pain, and in despair, for there was no one who could help them.
5) By law, if a leper met some one on the road, they had to warn them that they were leprous, by yelling, "Unclean! Unclean!"
Ten men, who found themselves in this terrible estate, met Jesus, as He came to the outskirts of a "certain village".
In desperation, they called out for His help. "...Jesus, Master, have mercy on us." (v. 13)
And, Jesus had mercy upon them! He sent them to see a priest! You see, only a priest could declare that a leper had been healed, and was no longer a leper. So, these ten men turned from Jesus' path, and went to find a priest! It was an act of faith in Jesus!
Low, and behold, as they went, they were healed! Just a spoken word was all it took! Jesus had given them their lives back again! He had ended their nightmare!
1) They could go home!
2) They could go to worship services!
3) They could go to work, and provide for themselves, and their families!
4) They could go to family functions!
5) They could go see their mamas, and their daddies!
6) Jesus restored every thing that they had lost!
Sadly, only one returned to say thank you. Jesus noticed it! "...Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?" (v. 17)
If you are a disciple of the Lord, don't forget to return unto Him, and say, "Thank you." For He has done so much for you!
From my heart to your heart.