"And Israel abode in Shittim, and the people began to commit whoredom with the daughters of Moab.
And they called the people unto the sacrifices of their gods: and the people did eat, and bowed down to their gods.
And Israel joined himself unto Baal-peor: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel." (Numbers 25:1-3)
Yesterday, we looked at a guy named Balaam. He was a "rock-star" famous preacher from back in the day, and was hired by Balak, king of Moab, to curse Israel.
Balak thought that if Balaam cursed Israel, then He would be able to defeat Israel on the battlefield, and save his nation from invasion. But, God would not allow Balaam to curse Israel.
So, rather than leave that money on the table, Balaam tells Balak of another way to defeat Israel. He counselled Balak to seduce Israel, rather than fight with Israel. It was a brilliant plan!
The Moabites began to implement their plan.
1) They began to get real friendly with each other. The Moabite women would bat their eyes at the Israelite men, and the Moabite men would flex their muscles at the Israelite women. Soon, nature took its course.
2) They invited the Israelites to their "church" services. The Moabites worshipped Baal, and Molech. They worshipped Baal in erotic ways, for he was a god of nature, and fertility.
3) The Moabites invited them to their feasts. They served many exotic foods, and beverages. It was much different from the manna that the Jews had been eating the past forty years.
And, vodda-bing, vodda-boom! Israel was no longer living according to the laws of God. They no longer even looked like the people of God! They looked like Moabites!
This strategy was ingenious! And it worked like a charm! The threat that Israel posed to Moab was gone!
Numbers 31:16 calls this "...the counsel of Balaam".
Satan still uses this brilliant strategy to stop the army of God, even today.
1) Satan can't curse the church, because God has blessed the church.
2) He can't defeat the church, because the church has victory in Jesus!
3) So, Satan seduces the church! He makes his way look so good to the Christian, that they began to forsake the way of God, and adopt the ways of the world.
Balaam, the prophet for hire, found a way to get Balak's money. He counselled Balak with a strategy to win, without firing a shot!
Be careful, my friend, for the devil is as a roaring lion, roaming to and fro in the earth, seeking whom he may devour. And he is cagy! And he is an expert in the art of seduction!
From my heart to your heart.