The Ten Commandments are found written in Exodus chapter 20. They cannot save you! Only Jesus can save us from the penalty of sin! Jesus, and Him alone. Salvation is not Jesus plus the Ten Commandments, it is Jesus plus nothing!
But the believer cannot ignore the Commandments, thinking that they are of no use, and unnecessary. Quite to the contrary, they are very important to the Christian. They are laws to live by, so that we can be a good person, and a good witness for Christ.
They teach us:
1) "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." (v. 3)
2) "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image,..." (v. 4)
3) "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain;..." (v. 7)
4) "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy." (v. 8)
5) "Honor thy father and thy mother:..." (v. 12)
6) "Thou shalt not kill." (v.13)
7) "Thou shalt not commit adultery." (v. 14)
8) "Thou shalt not steal." (v. 15)
9) "Thou shalt not bear false witness..." (v. 16)
0) "Thou shalt not covet..." (v. 17)
These are not suggestions, they are commandments! There is a big difference between a suggestion, and a commandment. So, they are important, and useful, though they have no power to save us.
Can you imagine someone telling another person, "I am a Christian!", but they stole your lawn mower?
Or, "I am a child of the King," but they are the biggest liar you have ever known?
Or, how about the guy who says he is going to heaven, yet he is so covetous, and busy "Keeping up with the Jones', that he never has time to go to church? (He's gathering treasure where moth and rust doth corrupt.)
You can see how important the Ten Commandments are to the Christian. Through the observance of them, we look like Jesus in our daily life.
Please don't think that you earn heaven by keeping the Commandments.
And, please don't dismiss them as unnecessary and useless.
From my heart to your heart.