"And thou shalt command the children of Israel, that they bring thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamp to burn always." (Exodus 27:20)
Part of my daily A. M. reading assignments this week have been taking through the construction of the Tabernacle. It may seem like dry and tedious reading, but it is very important reading! It is God's Word, after all, and the Tabernacle is packed full of symbolism of God's truth about salvation.
Take the 'candlestick', for instance. The instructions about how it was to be made are found in Exodus 25:31-40.
1) It was made of pure gold. (About 88 pounds of pure gold!)
2) It was beaten out with a hammer, not poured in a mold.
3) It would have seven bowls, each having a wick.
4) Pure olive oil was used for fuel.
So, like Jesus:
1) It was precious, pure, and priceless! (Made from a huge amount of gold, which represents 'Deity'.)
2) It was 'one of a kind', original; and forged by fire and violent hammering on the anvil.
3) It produced light from seven lamps, and repelled the darkness. (Seven is a holy number representing God.)
4) It was fueled by olive oil, which throughout the Bible has represented the Holy Presence of God.
The candlestick was placed inside the Tabernacle. It would be the ONLY source of light inside of the Tabernacle. (The Tabernacle was an elaborate tent, covered by dark colored linen curtains, then, by woolen drapes, and, then, by waterproofed animal skins. It would be completely dark inside of it. No natural light could get inside.)
The priests were to keep this light burning 'always'! (Exodus 27:20)
Here's where the believer comes into the story. When we were saved, we became priests. We can pray, and we can deliver God's message to the world. We can minister in His Name!
And, WE MUST KEEP THE LAMP BURNING, ALWAYS! The natural light can't pierce the darkness within the human heart. But the Light of Jesus can!
And, remember, no matter how small the light, darkness must give way to it. Darkness will always flee from light! Just strike a match in a dark room, and watch it glow. It is amazing!
Keepers of the Lamp, you have your assignment! Make certain that the Lamps is burning! "...always."
From my heart to your heart.