"And Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Juda;
And entered into the house of Zacharias, and saluted Elisabeth.
And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:" (Luke 1:39-41)
"THAT IS A BABY!"
The mother of our Lord has left the mountains of Nazareth in northern Galilee, and travelled to the hill country of Judea, to visit her elderly cousin, Elisabeth. Elisabeth is with child, and Zacharias is mute, because of unbelief!
When Mary knocks at the door of Zach's house, and Elisabeth opens it, Mary says hello, or something to that effect. The Bible says she gave a "salutation".
Well, Elisabeth is about six months, but "the babe leaped in her womb". Elisabeth was carrying a baby in her womb, not 'just' a blob of flesh, as some so readily call it in these modern times!
1) He had a name, and it was "John".
2) He had ears that heard Mary's voice.
3) He had fingers, and he sucked his thumb.
4) He had toes and feet, and can kick and leap!
5) His eyelids open and close.
6) He was about 12 inches long, and weighed about 2 pounds.
7) And he has fingerprints!
8) His pulse rises when he hears his mother talking.
9) He gets hiccups.
0) And can even survive with proper medical attention if born at 23 weeks.
!) And perhaps the most important thing, God knew John, had sent John to this world, and had a job for John to do!
Elisabeth and Mary did not have much formal education, not like we do today, yet they knew more, it seems, than a lot of people know, today.
1) They knew which bathroom they were supposed to use. There was no confusion there. Men used the men's room, and women used the women's room.
2) They knew they were to marry a man. That was not an issue of debate. And they knew that men were to marry women. (They were from a part of the world where men were men, and their women were glad of it!)
3) They knew that they had to work, in order to eat, and to provide for their families. They weren't waiting for someone else to provide a way for them.
4) They knew that there was a God in heaven, who had created this world, and the people in it were made in His image.
5) They knew that you were to be a patriot, and love your country!
6) And, they knew when a woman was pregnant, she was carrying a baby, a small little person, in their womb!
Mary, the mother of our Savior, came calling upon Elisabeth. When the "babe" in Elisabeth's womb heard Mary's voice, he leaped for joy! That is what Jesus brings to the lives of people even today, JOY!
"Joy to the world, the Lord is come;
Let earth receive her King!
Let every heart, prepare Him room;
And heaven, and nature, sing;
And heaven, and nature, sing;
And heaven, and heaven, and nature, sing..."
That was a baby that was in Elisabeth's womb, and he leaped for joy when His Savior, who was already present in Mary's womb, came near!
From my heart to your heart.