"Then they took him, and led him, and brought him into the high priest's house. And Peter followed afar off.
And when they had kindled a fire in the midst of the hall, and were set down together, Peter sat down among them.
But a certain maid beheld him as he sat by the fire, and earnestly looked upon him, and said, This man was also with him.
And he denied him, saying, Woman, I know him not." (Luke 22:54-57)
It's a slow progression, and very subtle in it means. Many times you are not even aware of what is happening, until it's too late. The ol' devil slowly works his art of deception and devious ways, leading the believer to denial.
Watch closely, as Peter falls away from his Christian devotion, and denies that he is a follower of Jesus.
1) "...And Peter followed afar off." (v. 54) The road to denial begins when we distance ourselves from the Lord. We stop reading our Bible, and , stop praying, as we did. Then, we find other things to do, than attend worship services. Whereas we once followed right on Jesus' heels, we fall further and further behind Him. Then, we are not close to Him, at all! A great distance separates us from our Savior.
2) "And when they had kindled a fire in the midst of the hall, and were sat down together, Peter sat down among them." (v. 55) When you fall behind, and are no longer following the Lord closely, you will find yourself surrounded by unbelievers. Amazingly enough, you will slide into their midst, keeping your identity hidden from them. And will warm yourself at Satan's fire!
3) "And he denied him, saying, Woman, I know him not." (v. 57) You have fallen way behind, not following closely, at all. You have warmed yourself at Satan's fire, surrounded by unbelievers, and hiding from them who you are. And, then it happens! Someone asks you, "Are you a disciple of the Lord?" And you deny it!
Peter ran away, when the rooster crowed. And he wept, bitterly! He could not believe that he had fallen so hard!
My friend, if Peter denied knowing the Lord, all of us had better take notice! This man walked on water with Jesus!
1) Walk closely with Jesus, today!
2) Do not sit beside Satan's fires, and warm yourself there!
3) And when asked, Do not deny that Jesus has saved you from your sin!
From my heart to your heart.