"And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.
(And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.)
And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.
And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)
To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
And so it was, that , while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.
And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn." (Luke 2:1-7)
WHAT IF CHRISTMAS HAD NOT COME?"
I never grow weary of reading this text of scripture. It is the story of the first Christmas!
But, have you ever thought about, "What if Christmas had not come, at all?"
I will throw out a few thoughts on this matter for your consideration.
1) If Christmas had not come, we wouldn't have Jesus! We would have no Savior, at all. We would be hopelessly lost in our sin.
2) If Christmas had not come, we would be on the outside, looking in! I, as far as I know, have no Jewish blood, none. I am a Gentile! Even if I had a little Jewish blood, I would be a Samaritan! In the eyes of a Jew, that is worst than being a Gentile.
3) If Christmas had not come, we would be worshipping at a bloody altar, bringing sacrifices to make atonement for our sin.
4) If Christmas had not come, our Bibles would be without the New Testament! We would only have the Old Testament. All of those wonderful lessons and stories of Jesus would be absent from our Bibles.
5) If Christmas had not come, we would have to live by the Old Testament Law in order to be righteous! No one but Jesus has ever accomplished that! The Law is a heavy burden! A man was stoned to death for gathering sticks on the Sabbath day! An insolent son is to be put to death by the community! You couldn't wear clothes of different fabrics. An example is: A silk blouse worn with a wool skirt was illegal.
6) If Christmas had not come, we wouldn't have all of the precious memories of Christmases past. There would be no memories of fireworks, gifts, and feasts.
7) If Christmas had not come, we wouldn't have Easter! Easter is our hope! Easter is victory for the believer! Easter is defeat for Satan! Easter is celebrated by the Church each and every Sunday!
Hallelujah! Christmas has come! It came the first time in Bethlehem, and we have celebrated it each year since! Christmas came once more this day! And because Christmas has come, joy fills our hearts, and hope for the future. And when our pilgrimage shall come to an end, WE SHALL RISE!
So, with all the enthusiasm I can possibly muster, I say to you all, Merry Christmas! May this Christmas be the merriest of the all!
From my heart to your heart.